Beard oil has long been a staple for beard growers; however only in the last decade has the beard oil market started to boom as demand for quality oils grows.
There are a host of benefits associated with a quality beard oil, all of which will lead to a stronger, healthier & more manageable beard.
We think every beardsman should use a good quality beard oil; but don't just take our word for it - read on, then decide for yourself.
Quality beard oils are mostly made up of carrier oils, with a small amount of essential oils for scent. The choice of carrier oils is what sets a quality beard oil apart from the rest. We've noted a few key carrier oils that we think should be present in any quality beard oil, as well as the benefits of each:
- Jojoba oil – is one of the main oils you want to see in a quality beard oil. It helps to trap the moisture into the hair and skin, leaving it feeling hydrated and healthy. It is good at battling fungi and bacteria; helping to avoid ingrown hairs and beardruff. It mimics sebum, which is a natural oil produced by the skin. Finally, it can also promote hair growth. So all in all, it’s a must have in any quality beard oil.
- Argan oil – is known for protecting and regenerating the skin and hair, leaving it nice and soft. It locks in moisture; reducing hair damage through breakage and hair loss. It is moisturising and very absorbent, and like jojoba oil, is a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. With its high content of vitamin E and fatty acids, it is great for all skin conditions.
- Almond oil – is one of the most commonly used oils in skin products. It acts as a moisturiser and softens, soothes and nourishes the skin. It is rich in proteins and Vitamin D.
- Avocado oil - is packed with minerals and vitamins. It is perfect for hair growth and is rich in essential fatty acids such as Biotin.
- Grapeseed oil – is rich in Vitamin E and Omega 6. It is a lightweight oil, and spreads easily on the skin, penetrating quickly. It’s has great antiseptic and moisturising properties.
- Hempseed oil – is packed with lipids, which add moisture and shine to your skin and beard. The fatty acids in the oil help to strengthen damaged hair and can also promote thicker hair growth.
- Meadowfoam oil – has amazing moisturizing and rejuvenating capabilities and is great for the skin. It locks in the skins moisture by creating a moisture barrier. It adds shine and moisture to the hair and is perfect for dry and damaged hair. It is an extremely stable oil, which means it can extend the shelf life of other less stable ingredients.
- Caster oil – is a long lasting oil and great as a carrier base in a beard oil. It can promote hair growth and provides good nutrition to the hair follicles. It won’t clog pores or irritate the skin.
- Coconut oil – works wonders for hair growth and moisturises the skin. It is used in both cosmetic and food products. It keeps hair moisturised, strengthens the follicles and improves all round growth.
Hydration & health
Beard oil, above all things, is extremely good for the health of your facial hair. We’ve all experienced the ragged, unruly stage of beard growing in which the hair feels almost wiry & stiff, grows a mind of its own & takes off in every direction imaginable. Beard oil helps solve this by hydrating the beard, nourishing the hairs & giving them a healthy (yet manly) shine.
Probably the main reason most guys grab a beard oil is to make their beard look better. Beard oil helps with this in a few ways. Firstly, as you’d expect, by applying an oil you’re slightly thickening the hair & increasing fullness. Secondly, the oil tames the beard, smoothing it down & making it much easier to comb & style. Finally, beard oil provides a slight shine, that most would agree looks infinitely better than the often dry, scraggly look an un-treated beard can take on when it gets longer.
Disclaimer: Beard oil doesn’t cause growth as such. There is no magic formula that forces a beard to grow unless you’re brave (or stupid) enough to try something like rogaine on your face. It’s pretty much all down to your genes.
Having said that, due to the way in which beard oil treats the facial hair & indeed the skin beneath it, it can help growth by proving a healthier, more nourished platform for the beard to grow. In the same way healthy & well-treated hair on your head grows faster, beards that are well fed tend to look fuller & grow better.
A lesser know & discussed benefit of beard oil is that a lot of them are actually very good for your skin. Because beard oils tend to contain ingredients such as Jojoba, Grapeseed, Almond & Argan oils, they moisturise the skin, helping limit itchiness & irritation. These oils are also great for treating acne & skin issues, but those effects are obviously less noticeable under a forest of facial hair.
Beard oil is a great way to enhance a beard, nourishing both the actual facial hair & hidden skin beneath it. Used regularly, it’ll help with grooming the beard, whilst also limiting any itchiness, discomfort or the ultimate enemy - beard dandruff.
It smells damn good
Yep, that's right - they smell damn good. Beard oils come in all different fragrances and we try to cater for all!
Basically, if you’re growing a beard - grab some beard oil. It’s more than worth it.